Bloggers, how I’ve missed you all! Oh finals, so needy for all my time and attention, I hardly have time to blog anymore! Priorities, people!
Week 7 was a tough week! With finals at school engulfing my days, I felt stressed, relieved, crazed, and excited all a the same time. I’m mad that I only worked out 4 days, but 4 days is better than none!
It was even more difficult not to run this past week, but my calf was still bugging me, so I was reminded with each step taken that I should wait to run. I know that I need to take care of my body in order for me to run the marathon in November. But, whenever I am injured and need to take time off from the road, I feel super anxious and worried that I won’t be the same runner when I return. Does anyone else ever feel this way?
My absence away from running is on purpose, yes, and I know it’s the right thing to do. But, while I’ve been away from running, I’ve been reevaluating my training program. It’s SO difficult to change your way of thinking when it comes to training for something. I went from thinking:
The more I run, the better I will race
the more athletic I am, the stronger I will race.
This concept is SO foreign to me! Runners are supposed to run primarily, right? So, why is it that people I know who weight train like crazy and hardly ever run are getting massively better times then me for races?! Ugh.. frustration at its finest. Anyway, here’s a recap of my week:
- 5/13~ Lower Body Workout & Crazy Cardio/Core!!
- 5/14~ 20 minutes elliptical, 10 minutes bike, + Upper Body Circuits
- 5/15~20 minutes stair master, 20 minutes elliptical, + Total Body Circuit
- 5/16~ Rest
- 5/17~ 20 minute swim!!!!
- 5/18~ P90X Core Workout
- 5/19~ Rest
I’m really enjoying the P90X diet. While I still am not following it to a T, I was much better this week than last! The thing I love the most about the diet in general is it’s making me more aware of my snacking & my general choice of food. For example-
- I eat a much smarter breakfast: egg whites, cottage cheese, a bagel thin with a little jelly, & coffee. This keeps me WAY full until lunch, and I don’t even THINK of snacking!
- Speaking of snacks, I’m enjoying a mid afternoon snack of veggies & protein shake that gives me lots of energy for my night shifts at work!
- I am eating a lot less empty carbs as I did before, because I am fueling my body with enough energy from good carbs, nuts, and protein.
Some struggles I am facing-
- Some mornings, I don’t have time to cook eggs, so I resort to eating a granola bar. I know I need to wake up 10 minutes earlier to prepare a smart breakfast, but on 2 mornings this past week, that was NOT happening.
- Lunch sucks. I am so busy that, by the time lunch rolls around, I do NOT want to cook. I mostly make a turkey sandwich or a salad, but the diet calls for steak/halibut most days.
- A few of my shifts at work this week were so crazy, I didn’t have time to eat dinner! I had prepped small portions to eat during the 10 minute break between each of my clients. However, I like to talk too much to my clients and went 5 straight hours without eating. By the time my second to last client was done, I couldn’t take it anymore & ate some watermelon while we inputted her session info. Fortunately, my client did mind that I was stuffing my face with watermelon, so it was all good!
Week 8 Game Plan~
- Running again!!!! I have a new pair of shoes and a passionate heart driving my planned 12 miles this week. I am starting slow, with primarily treadmill runs & keeping each run around 3-5 miles. I hope that everything goes alright.
- 3 days of strength training- what what?!
- A 15 minute yoga sesh followed by a 20 minute foam rolling sesh each day.
- Regulating my sleep schedule again. (ie- trying to go to bed and wake up at the same time each morning)
- Prepping my lunches a few days in advanced.
- Enjoying my 1 weeks of summer before summer school starts!!!
See ya’ll later!