Hey party people!!! I hope you’re weekends are going great! I wanted to pop in and share some amazing news with you guys!!!
One of my clients, Shanaz, expressed interest in running a half marathon for the first time a few months ago, and asked if we could augment her training to prepare her for the experience. I’m not sure why she decided to try out running- it could have been because I talk about running/racing about 90% of the time during our sessions. (The other 10% encapsulates life, instruction, & me yelling at her to finish her sets )
I was SO excited to help someone else complete a half marathon! I remember running my first half-marathon about a year ago, & could not wait to share such an awesome experience with Shanaz! Oh- and it also doesn’t hurt that Shanaz picked the most awesome half-marathon for us to run:
THE DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON!!!!!!
On Saturday, we headed to Disneyland to check out the race expo and pick up our bibs. Since our last training session on Tuesday, I could tell that Shanaz had become a tad bit nervous, but my dad & I assured her the whole experience would be incredible!
After the expo, we said our goodbyes and planned out the morning. The race started at 5:45am and, since I live so close to Disneyland (be jealous ), I suggested Shanaz drive over to my house and the three of us could drive together.
This is actually the first race where I brought my phone to take pictures! I am SO glad I did because the course was full of fun- from marching bands to Toy Story Soldiers saluting you as your ran past, this race was amazing!
At the start, they even had fire works- I mean, come on! BEST RACE EVER!!!
The course began with 3 miles of touring both California Adventure and Disneyland. I have now concluded that I want to reenact these first 3 miles at each and every race I run from here on out because it was the perfect wake up call! This race, I opted not to drink coffee and I think it was a good idea- less bathroom breaks!
Shanaz was awesome! Within the first 3 miles, she found her groove and stuck with it throughout the race. I let her set the pace, and was so proud of her! The past few months, we had been working on mental strength and learning to motivate yourself through tough times in the race. She whizzed through the first 11 miles with ease and really enjoyed herself!
I quickly learned that I still stink at taking pictures while running, even though I told you guys I had mastered it. Oh well- at least I have SOME sort of documentation of the day! For instance, here is a picture that I intended to take of the three of us- which turned out to be a picture of my dad and me minus Shanaz… oops.
By the time the 11th mile hit, both Shanaz and my dad starting to hurt. My dad has been dealing with some ankle issues, so he opted to fall a bit behind us and slow his pace down. He still finished without stopping to walk, which is so important to both of us. When we first starting running, our goal was to run a half-marathon without stopping to walk, no matter what time we finished.
It was so cool to talk with Shanaz through the race. At the 9th mile, she commented, “I really do not want to walk during this race. I think I can finish running the whole thing!” I swear, guys, I almost started to cry!
Music to my ears to hear her say that! It is such a huge accomplishment to run an entire half-marathon without stopping to walk, so I was proud of Shanaz so accomplishing her goal! She finished the race in under 3hrs!!!!!!!
I was so blessed to be able to help Shanaz accomplish her goal! She even asked when we would be running the next half-marathon- I have converted her into a crazy!!!!!!!!
Today was even better because I was able to run this race with my Dad just the day after his birthday!!!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!!!!
I love you so much & am so blessed to have you in my life!
Now I am off to lunch with the fam but, before I go, let me leave you guys with this awesome picture of me post-race. Who’ the HOT MESS?
Okay, I’m off to eat endless amounts of salad! Have a wonderful Sunday and I will talk to ya tomorrow!